Wednesday 3 October 2012

Basics and Exercises

This was the first Lesson in Drawing for Games, and we spent it learning worm up drawing techniques.
I enjoyed this as I had already come across them and I knew haw useful they are, on here I will post some of these pictures and small blurb for each one describing how I felt doing it.

This is my free hand of Martin Clunes, in pencil coped from a print out.
Doing portraits is not a strong shoot of mine so I found this quite challenging but was happy with the result.
  




This is a free hand of my hand in pencil,
I chose to do the 'metal horns' as I love metal






This is a pencil sketch of a corner of the class-room.





This is an exercise I've dun meany times before it involves drawing from a picture witch is upside-down.
This one is of a Picasso drawing, I also find that it helps to hide as much of the picture as possible, this helps your mind to see it as shapes and not flip it round in your mind.


We also did a couple of other exorcises, drowning your hand but not looking at the paper

 and doing a free hand sketch of what was in my pockets

Practicing different mark-making from other artists

and the vase exorcise, where you draw one side and then try and copy it on the other

    

All of these exorcise techniques are used to stimulate the creative side of your mind and help in the drawing process. I will be using these to warm up in the rest of the lessons and at home.

Moving on to shading and light. Shading and light are paramount to drawing to convey every thing from depth to shadow, here are some exorcises I worked through.

I started out doing a shading grade line from light to dark, and a small example of different light sources on different shaped objects. 

The next stage was to choose a basic shaped object and draw it free hand using shading and light sources

Finally I worked on freehand drawing a bunch of flowers using all the things learned in the other exorcises.

To recap on all this, as I have already used a lot of these exorcises before but going over them again and learning some new ones has been very helpful.
I sometimes fined it hard to use them when starting a peace of work and forget how useful they are to get your mind in a creative frame. Going over shading and light is always a good thing, they are corner stones of  drawing and understanding how to create quality work. Without these basics it would be impossible to move  on as an artist.







No comments:

Post a Comment